Wha?

A blog covering all aspect of Tony Stark's character -- the good, the bad, and the awesome.

Friday, September 26, 2008

About

I'm not gonna lie. My fond childhood memories are not found within the pages of Secret Wars or are painted with the drawings of Jack Kirby or John Romita Jr. Now, ask me about Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon and I could go on for days.

Not to say I wasn't interested in comics as a kid. I have at least a hundred plus issue of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics (before the Knuckles comic got canned D: ), along with some Tomb Raider ones and a brilliant little series called Tallos. It's just that I never really got into superhero comics. I felt like I would get too lost in them. So, instead, I stuck to video games and a variety of manga and anime. And it was good.

Until earlier this year, that is. You see, I have a lot of friends that are into comics and they were getting all excited about this Iron Man movie. Personally, I had no idea who this guy was – most of the Marvel stuff I knew about was Spider-Man and X-Men. But then I saw the trailer. A movie about a dude in a Western-style Mech suit guy that goes around blowing things up? Hell yes. (Did I mention I watched a lot of anime?)

The movie was amazing. There were explosions, robots, flight attendant strippers, robots, badass music, plus, as my mother put it, “He has such a cute butt!” (Iron Man, not Robert Downey Jr. Though I haven't actually seen RDJr's behind as to say whether or not his isn't as cute as the Iron Man suit's) And I walked out of that theater thinking, “I have got to get into superhero comics.”

Little did I realize I was getting involved with the most hated man in the Marvel Universe.

Tony Stark is a dick. He's manipulative, controlling. He's a womanizer and a boozer. He's got no qualms with screwing over a whole lot of people to get what he thinks need to be done done.

Tony Stark is f**king awesome.

It's hard to explain exactly why he's so awesome, mainly because any point you may have usually doesn't make it look all that great (“When his armor designs were stolen, he hunted those punks asses down!” “Didn't he punch out Captain America during that arc?” “Uh, well...”). So I've simply accepted that fact that some people will never like him. I've embraced his jerkish-ness and thrive in it. It's kinda like playing devil's advocate. It's fun.

I make no claims as to being an expert on comics, or even the Marvel U. This is me just having a little fun, and I hope you all with join me in it, whether you love Tony or not. Seeing as I'm brand new to the fandom and that I don't have a scanner, much less all my comics with my here at college, most of the scans you'll find here are collected from the far corners of the Internets (and by “far corners” I mean “LiveJournal” and “Marvel's own website”), so I make no claim to them.

He's a genius. He's a billionaire. He's a hero. He's an arms dealer. He's a manwhore. He's a control freak. He's a fascist. He's an egomaniac.

He's Tony F**king Stark.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Stark is awesome in the sense that he doesn't do easy. It would have been easy for him to step down from his company, to step away from his humanity and lose himself in science and theory. Or, to dull his intellect on alcohol or any other myriad addictions, but he he doesn't. Tony Stark keeps fighting his more self destructive urges to be a better person. I'm all for movie verse IM, but he's only a fraction of the character. I've followed him for years, and feel that I'll never yet know the total 'him'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascist? Aw, c'mon... he's only a fascist when he's written by Paul Jenkins. And J.M. Strazynscki. And, well, some other authors I don't like.

    ReplyDelete